We require all children at Gomeldon Primary School to have the best possible attendance to enable them to reach their full potential. Equally, parents/carers have a duty to make sure that their children attend school regularly and on time.
All of the staff at Gomeldon are committed to working closely with parents/carers as the best way to ensure the highest possible levels of attendance. Communication between home and school is vital if we are to achieve this and maintain accurate, up to date attendance records for our students.
As a school we would appreciate your support in the following ways:
- Telephone or email the school before 8.40am to tell us why your child is absent and when you expect them to return, with a letter to explain absence.
- Keep in contact daily with the school if they are likely to be absent for a period of time.
- Only allow your child to stay at home for genuine illness.
- Ensure your child arrives in good time and prepared to start the school day by 8.40am.
- Avoid booking non-urgent medical appointments during the school day.
- If you have any concerns or need to talk to us about your child please contact us so we can support you and your child and resolve any issues.
- Always praise good attendance and punctuality.
Why is attendance so important?
If you miss 3.5 days of school each half term over your school life you will miss a staggering, 1.5 years of education.
Good attendance means being in school at least 95% of the time (between 180 and 190 days)
Leave of Absence Requests
National Guidelines mean that we are unable to authorise absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Any request for leave of absence MUST be submitted at least two weeks prior to any request on the Gomeldon Primary School ‘Leave of Absence’ form, this can be obtained from the school office.
Please read the Wiltshire Council Local Authority leaflet found below explaining Penalty Notices issued for unauthorised Leave of Absence during term time. Copies are available at reception or click below to download a copy.
If you have any concerns about your child's attendance, please do not hesitate to make contact with school to discuss this.